Is the SLIS MLIS program accredited by the American Library Association?

Yes, our MLIS program is ALA accredited.

What are the requirements for completing the MLIS degree?

Information about degree requirements is available on the MLIS Degree Requirements page.

How do I find out about tuition costs?

Tuition costs depend on your chosen program option. It differs between main campus students and distance learning students.  Then, within main campus students, there is a difference between ‘in state” and “out of state” tuition.

Does SLIS offer financial assistance?

Please visit the SLIS Financial Assistance page for information. Additional assistance resources from other sources are available as well.

What is the deadline to apply for scholarships? How can I apply?

The application deadline for SLIS financial assistance is February 1st for fall and summer terms and October 1st for spring term. Please complete the web-based application form for SLIS scholarship consideration by the deadline.

Can I complete the MLIS degree completely online?

Yes, SLIS has an online option for completing the MLIS degree in a distance education mode. The online option is designed to accommodate working adult students who wish to study part-time at a distance. See MLIS Online Option page and the MLIS Online Option FAQ for more information.

How can I register for classes in MyBama?

The university provides registration instructions on the web. If you have trouble, use the add or drop courses screen, enter the CRN number of the course for which you wish to register, and submit changes at the bottom of the web page.

What specialty areas are available?

Students may focus their studies in a variety of areas including academic, public, school media or special libraries (law, medical), archival studies and digital collections.  Students are encouraged to work with a faculty advisor to craft a program that meets their career objectives.

I don’t know where to go for my class. Does MyBama tell the class location?

Yes, MyBama does list the class location. When you use the MyBama look up classes feature, look at both the campus column and the location column. The campus location might be on campus or online.

I want to get my books now, before classes start. How can I know what textbook to buy?

Each professor will announce the class text book(s) in the class syllabus. You may purchase books from the University Book Store (“SupeStore“) or from any vendor you choose. Occasionally a text will be announced in advance on SLIS-L or SLIS-S.

How can I subscribe to and unsubscribe from SLIS listservs?

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from SLIS-J and SLIS-L, see the instructions on this page: Listserv.

All students are automatically subscribed to SLIS-S, the SLIS student announcements listserv.

SLIS-S is a required listserv and cannot be unsubscribed.

How can I find contact information for faculty or staff at SLIS?

Please check the SLIS Directory for contact information.

How do I know who my advisor is?

Go to the DegreeWorks dashboard and enter your CWID. You will see your assigned academic advisor’s name in the “Advisor” text block.

I have graduated but I still need another class. Can I still take classes at SLIS?

Yes, you can take additional courses by applying as a non-degree-seeking (NDS) student. The UA Graduate School has various types of NDS applications, so please read through the Types of Graduate Applications page to find the NDS application that matches your needs.

Would earning this degree allow me to work in any library? Could I work in a school library or a public library?

SLIS offers the only master’s degree program in library science in Alabama that is accredited by the American Library Association. Students who complete this program go on to work as information professionals in a wide variety of careers including academic, school media, public and special libraries, archives, digital libraries and special collections, and more.

How do I add a class?

  • Log in to myBama.
  • Select the student tab.
  • Locate the links in the Registration Tools section at the left center of page.
  • Use the look-up classes link to review your options and select courses.
  • Be sure to write down the CRN number of the course you want to take.
  • Register by entering the CRN number for the course in the add or drop courses screen – then submit changes at the bottom of the page.

Can I be put on a waiting list for a class?

Banner maintains a waiting list between the first day of registration and the last day to confirm schedules.

  • Log in to myBama.
  • Select the student tab
  • Locate the Registration Tool Box in the left, center side of the page.
  • Select the add or drop classes screen.
  • Select the term.
  • On the next screen you will see a string of empty boxes – Type the CRN number for the course in one of the boxes and submit changes.
  • You will then see another screen that lists the course you have entered with an ACTION box in the row.
  • There is a drop-down arrow next to the action box where you can select wait list as the action.

After you select wait list, submit changes again at the bottom of the page.

After the last day to confirm schedules, the wait list is dropped from Banner.

How do I arrange for a directed research or independent study course credit?

Information is available on the directed research or independent study page.

Can I transfer credit from another graduate degree program to the MLIS?

Information about transferring credit is available on the SLIS Course Transfer Policy page.

I plan to graduate next semester. What do I need to do now?

All students should submit an application for Admission to Candidacy for the Master’s Degree when they have completed 12 hours of course work. In the first week of the final semester of study, students must submit an Application for Degree, which is accessible through myBama. If you plan to participate in commencement, purchase your cap and gown and hood (lemon yellow for MLIS; brown for MFA in the Book Arts) through the University Supply Store.

How do I obtain a copy of my transcript?

You can print an unofficial copy of your transcript through myBama. If you need an official copy of your transcript, visit the UA Registrar’s General Request Info page to order.

I’m having a severe medical crisis. How can I medically withdraw for this term?

Please send an email from your Crimson email account to the UA Registrar ( to indicate that you wish to withdraw from the university for medical reasons. You must include your CWID. Then, contact Dr. Maxwell (205) 348-6262 at the Student Health Center. He will need the following:

  • A letter from your doctor that recommends medical withdrawal. It should include the effective date for withdrawal (FAX 205-348-0630).
  • A letter of approval from Dr. Jamie Naidoo, Interim Director of SLIS.

Who can I talk to for more information?

For further information, contact Joi Mahand, Assistant Director of Academic Programs, at (205) 348-1524 or