What is the MLIS online degree?
SLIS offers the Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) as an online option, custom designed for busy and disciplined students entering the information studies professions. The MLIS program requires the completion of 36-semester hours, and students who study online complete these courses via web-based technology that creates a virtual-learning campus. Online classes meet synchronously at a specific time each week (6:00-8:30 p.m. Central Time) during the fall and spring semesters. Summer class meeting times vary.
Students who study online are required to successfully complete an orientation session before beginning coursework. The orientation is held at the Tuscaloosa campus before the start of classes in the fall term. Online students usually enroll in two online courses each semester and complete the MLIS program in as few as six semesters. The American Library Association and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accredit the MLIS program at UA.
All incoming students begin coursework in the fall term.
How do online students attend class?
The Master of Library and Information Studies (MLIS) online options are designed for serious students who desire a rigorous professional program. The degree requires the completion of 36-semester hours. Online course delivery is via web-based technology that creates a virtual-learning campus. All courses meet at scheduled times and are delivered via the web in “real-time” modes; students will actively engage with each other through various forms of technology and are expected to attend regularly scheduled online sessions.
The virtual classroom supports the following features:
- Students will attend live, real-time lectures, ask questions, chat with classmates, and have discussions with instructors.
Application sharing and content display
- Students may view and display presentations, and collaborate on projects and presentations with instructors and fellow students.
What technology is required?
Students enrolled either MLIS online option must meet the following hardware and software requirements:
- A personal computer
- E-mail access
- Hard-wired, high-speed broadband internet access (wireless & satellite will not comply)
- An up-to-date operating system (Microsoft Windows XP® or higher, or Mac OSX or higher)
- Firefox® or Microsoft Internet Explorer® or Safari® or the latest Google Chrome® as your browser
- A headset with attached microphone
- A quiet place to “attend” class (virtually) without interruption
Click the link above to launch the test drive.